Research Lead (f/m/x/d)
one.five is a biomaterials discovery and development company transforming material science solutions into radically better packaging for the FMCG space.
Their vision is to design eco-saving materials with data. By evaluating a technology’s likelihood of success in its earlier stages of development, they aim to reduce the time it traditionally takes to get a product to market. At the same time, they achieve market success by acting on the needs and wants of all critical stakeholder groups along the packaging value chain, such as packaging converters, brand owners, and local waste infrastructure.
Now, they are looking for a Research Lead to help them to identify and evaluate novel & cost-effective alternatives to produce the biopolymers they need for the development of sustainable packaging materials. This function will play a pivotal role in bringing new research projects to their prototyping and pilot plant facility, The Yard.
- Expand their portfolio of research projects dedicated to the sustainable production of biopolymers and other sustainable materials.
- Expand their current inventory of microorganisms used in their pilot plant.
- Perform necessary monitoring and reporting for the successful completion of projects including all learnings they made in the process.
- Contribute to the development or establishment of methodologies to automate the identification of biopolymers of interest in biological systems.
- Spot and facilitate the transfer of technologies of interest in public and private research centers to the market.
- Act as an internal opinion leader on biological systems of particular interest to one.five.
- Dedicate time to regularly share your knowledge and learnings with the larger team, contributing to raising their general standard of knowledge.
- You have proven experience working with photosynthetic organisms and/or microorganisms biochemistry as well as systems biology studies (preferably, metabolomics and/or chemotaxonomy).
- You are experienced in biostatistics and in at least one programming language, such as R, or Python. You are interested in developing your skills in other programming languages/frameworks.
- You are experienced or interested in learning genetic engineering and/or synthetic biology approaches.
- You are open-minded and communicative, and work best when collaborating.
- You enjoy working with cross-functional teams in remote/hybrid environments.
- You have a working knowledge of English and are an excellent communicator.
- You have a passion for sustainability and are willing to challenge team members’ and leadership’s decisions, if these do not represent the company’s commitment to sustainability.
- EUR 50,000 - 60,000 and (real!) shares in the company via participation in our bespoke, tax efficient share incentive scheme.
- Self-determined annual leave, with >30 days per year per employee encouraged.
- Pension top-up and payment of 50% of health care insurance contributions.
- Flexible and remote working (from time zones of +/- 2h from CET), whilst offering a “home base” for all employees who would like one at our office and R&D campus “The Yard” (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany).
- Comprehensive relocation package, offered to all employees relocating to Germany
- Opportunity to join a successful startup early on and help build something impactful.
- Work in an inspiring environment amongst a global team of passionate experts.
- Coaching and career development support to help you grow with the company.
- Voluntary membership to our Sustainable Development Committee, tasked with implementing sustainable development initiatives that go beyond our core business, and assessing and monitoring company culture.
one.five is proud to be an equal opportunities employer and is devoted to creating an inclusive experience for all.
They encourage all applications without regard to gender, nationality, race, religion, age, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other dimension of diversity. However you express yourself, wherever you are from, they welcome your application for this position and wish you every success in your search.